Friday 2 March 2012

Sopwith Dolphin - some definite progress on markings

Here are the decals for the roundels, which I've printed out myself, and I think they look pretty good.

In a previous post, I think I mentioned that I'd tried printing my own decals but the results with my inkjet were disappointing. I then thought I'd do it all by masking and spraying, but soon realised that was a non-starter as well. That's when I decided to try to get some custom decals made. For one reason and another, that didn't really work either. Then I had the idea of using a laser printer. So I ordered some clear laser decal film - sticking with Experts Choice because I was very impressed by their inkjet film (less so by my inkjet printer, as alread stated). I ordered it from Antenocitis, and I was impressed by them as well. They were quick, and they packaged it very carefully. Anyway, I did a bit of work in good old TurboCAD and then ran the results through the laser printer, with the results you see.

The snag, of course, is that a laser printer is no better at printing white than an inkjet. But what I'm going to do there is use a circle cutter (as I intended to do at one point or other in the last few months) and cut a white layer from Microscale white film (which has a good colour density). The various white rectangles can also be cut out from Microscale pretty easily. So then I'm nearly there. The Lazy S insignia will be the one item I use from the set I had made commercially.

I think the first thing I'll do is try out the idea on the upper wings. Then if that looks OK, I'm going to make a jig to hold the fuselage on its side and provide some kind of horizontal datum line to make sure I align everything properly.

Mustn't forget to do the coat of Microscale liquid decal film though!

More soon hopefully.

1 comment: