Sunday 18 March 2012

Sopwith Dolphin - brainwave put into action

So here's the brainwave: do a marking scheme that doesn't include the lazy S and includes only simple stencils that I can easily cut out. So my Dolphin now represents C4056, from about April 1918. I got the scheme from Dolphin and Snipe Aces of World War 1 (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No. 48). Apparently, the horizontal S was not specified for 87 Sqn until that date. A different squadron marking had been specified in December 1917, but there's no sign of it on the Osprey profiles. So it was just a question of choosing the individual identification marking. I had a choice of C, S (with a shamrock), L, G and Q. Can you guess why I chose the "L"?

So the technique I eventually used was as follows:
  1. White identification markings, background for serial number and background for roundels: Microscale film, cut using circle cutter or guides printed out from TurboCAD. I had to do a dot of white paint in the centre of the roundel background, to fill in the hole made by the circle cutter.
  2. Blue of roundels: laser-printed decals.
  3. Red of roundels: from commercial sheet - size is not so critical as for blue and colour density is better than laser-printed decals. I think the sheet I used is from Pegasus.
  4. "Lift Here" stencils: from commercial sheet - Blue Rider this time.
  5. Serial number (still to do): laser-printed decals.
So quite simple in principle.  But I had forgotten how difficult it is to get the decals aligned exactly. And you have to work quickly, I now remember. Within a minute, the decal has set in place and won't be shifted. So I had to have two or three goes with some of the markings. But it all went reasonably well until doing the background for the starboard serial number. I realised that I had got it at a slight angle; but by that time it had set into place so I tried to peel it off. Previously, I haven't had any trouble with this: you just work away with the Microsol and off it comes. But this time, it just wouldn't come away. I ended up with gluey white decal film smeared around and little tiny spots of it all over the fuselage side. I got as much off as I could and then, to avoid finishing the day's work on a sour note, I plonked a new piece of decal film on top of the mess. So at least I can see what genuinely needs cleaning up. You can probably see some of the mess in this photo:

Anyway, following my usual rule, I've stopped for the evening now to take stock of the damage and think about ways to correct it, while listening to the Freak Zone with a glass of wine (great - a bit of King Crimson as I write this!). Obviously, I'm not going to clean off all the decals and paint and start again - I don't think it's even possible. So it looks as though the final effect is going to be rather compromised. But I'm not going to do anything for the moment. Probably the best I can do is scrape off some of the spots and smears or conceal with tiny spots of PC10, and then hope that the final coat of Satin Cote will hide some of the imperfections.

In summary: quite annoying.

1 comment:

  1. Looking marvellous!

    Pity about the problem with background, but in the pic it doesn't look too bad. I'm sure your suggestion for repair will be fine. Anyway, unless you want it to look like it's straight off the production line, a few 'imperfections' could be made to look like repairs?

    Good stuff anyhow!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete