Wednesday 9 November 2011

Sopwith Dolphin - further cackhandedness

I was nearly ready to do the decals, but I've mucked it up again. The picture shows the upper wings after their coat of Gloss Cote, and somehow I've managed to get a kind of discoloured rectangle right in the middle of each one.

I know where the rectangles came from. I did the Gloss Cote in two goes, one side and then the other. And while I was spraying, I attached the wings to bits of scrap, using little rectangles of masking tape. After seeing the effects it had on the Battleship Grey areas, I should have known better, but I just assumed it would be OK on gloss varnish. What I can't explain is why there's a kind of silvery bloom around the rectangles. Maybe it's overspray that somehow got around to the top surfaces of the wings as I was doing the undersurfaces. A bit baffling.

I'm going to have to think about how to correct this. A few options have occurred so far:
  • Go ahead with the decals, assuming that the final coat of Satin Cote will make the rectangles go away.
  • Try cleaning the whole thing with soapy water,
  • Clean off the varnish with white spirit and have another go.
I've already tried the third option on a piece of scrap, and it seems to work, without taking off too much of the underlying paint. But I think I'm going to do some more experimentation before doing anything drastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment