Monday 21 November 2011

Sopwith Dolphin - markings

Haven't made any more progress on the problems I've had recently with the simple task of spraying an even coat of varnish onto a model. I think I might try the idea of overspraying with Satin Cote: and I've realised that I can try this on the tailplane because it doesn't need any decals. Then, if this works, I can do the decals on the upper wings knowing that the Satin Cote will solve the problem.

In the meantime, I've been giving some serious thought to the decals; or I should say the markings, because it's not at all clear now whether I'm going to be able to use decals for all the markings, as I originally intended (actually, I've already done some masking and spraying on the rudder, as a recent photo shows).

The first problem with the decal approach is finding some suitable roundels. I do have a sheet of Pegasus assorted roundels, and they worked well on my Camel and Snipe projects. But none of them is quite the right size. Previously, on my Camel and Snipe projects, I think I just used the nearest size, but I'm not so happy with that sort of compromise now. And the big roundel on the fuselage side is very characteristic of the Dolphin.

So I'm starting to think about doing some fiddly masking. And this is where I hit the next problem. For the fuselage sides, I need diameters of 11mm, 10mm, 6.25mm and 2.25mm - or thereabouts. I can do the first two with a circle cutter, and the last with a hole punch, but the third falls between the two stools. So what I need is some larger hole punches. But that should be OK. I've just had a look on Amazon and there's a set of Draper hollow punches that should do the job. I think I'll order them. Then, while waiting for them to arrive, I can decide whether to go for the safe option and make up decals, or the scary option and spray roundels directly onto the much-mistreated surface.

The next problem is the squadron identification marking. I might as well say now that I want to do a machine from 87 Squadron so that I can have the experimental Lewis guns on the wings. This means I'm faced with the task of reproducing an elongated 'S' slightly altered into a stylised snake. I've already drawn it up in TurboCAD, and I've had a go at cutting it out freehand (using my usual technique of cutting through the printed drawing - into white decal sheet in this case), but this soon proved futile. Other possibilities that have occurred to me are:
  • Have custom decals made (but this costs £several hundred)
  • Have some white decal sheet laser cut (but this will still be quite expensive for two tiny markings)
  • Some other technique
More thought required on this. But once I've come up with an answer, I think I will deserve a break and so when it comes to the choice of machine I will probably go for C4159, flown by Lt A W Vigers. This has a letter I as its individual marking, which is simply a rectangle. I don't think I'll have anything to prove as regards fiddly markings by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment