Friday 14 October 2011

Sopwith Dolphin - progress of a kind

Well, that's the main paintwork done. I was hoping to have started doing the decals by now, but there have been a few setbacks and I've started recognising a certain reckless tendency in my recent efforts. This tendency probably arises from boredom and pressure, and has on previous occasions led to disaster. So I'm calling a halt now for a few weeks, before the quality of my work goes into a steep dive that can end only in the wastebasket.

The plan I had, after masking off the plywood and aluminium panels, was as follows:
  1. Do PC10 areas
  2. Remove masking from Clear Doped Linen areas
  3. Touch up where necessary
  4. Attach ailerons
  5. Do Gloss Cote
  6. Do Decals
  7. Do Satin Cote (my reasoning is that doped canvas acquired a noticeable sheen in service)
  8. Remove masking from plywood and aluminium panels
But this looked ambitious from the start, and I was slightly worried about how long I would have to leave the masking tape on, and the consequent danger of causing damage to the existing paintwork. Step 1 went all right. But when I removed the masking from the undersurfaces, the PC10 border on the undersurfaces was far from perfect, as expected. So I tried to touch it up by hand, but basically mucked it up. So I had to scrape off the paint from one wingtip and two ailerons and try again. The second time, by some miracle, I got a nice thin hand-painted border. But by this time, several days had passed and I was beginning to feel the pressure of time. I was also conscious that this frame of mind was not ideal for this sort of delicate work.

Today,after a botched attempt to attach the ailerons using superglue (I stupidly ended up with blobs of superglue on the wings, and the joints were too weak anyway), I started to recognise the dangerous recklessness and have now bowed to the inevitable. So in order to take the pressure off and buy some time I've taken off the rest of the masking.

The result looks OK to the naked eye and the 3 Megapixel camera, but as I feared the strips of masking tape have left marks on the surface:
So I'm going to put this project aside for a few weeks now. For the moment, it looks OK at a casual glance, but some decisions are going to be needed about how to repair the damage.

Addendum
I'm definitely not going to think too much about this project over the next few weeks, but I do have some ideas. The ailerons will have to be scraped down along the join and glued with polystyrene cement. Then the seam will have to be touched up with thinned paint. As for the discolouration from the masking tape, I'm hoping that this is essentially identical to the darkening that will result from a coat of varnish (for the sake of slight variation of finish, I was planning to give the grey panels a coat of Satin Cote without the underlying Gloss Cote). I've already set up a Long Term Effect Test Bed (a scrap of plastic with some masking tape on some grey paint) to investigate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment