Sunday 9 October 2011

Sopwith Dolphin - more progress with paintwork

A bit of a grey area
This is my Dolphin after a bit of tidying up. As I had expected, there was a bit of damage when I removed all the various types of masking, and the main culprit was the masking solution. It was impossible to stop it straying slightly beyond the edges of the apertures, so it left ragged edges. So then I had the job of rubbing down with 1200 wet and dry and retouching. Under a magnifying glass, you can see the patches, but to the naked eye (or a 3 megapixel camera) it looks fine, doesn't it?

But then, having patched up the real damage, I'm going to add some simulated damage later. Apparently, the paint was prone to flaking off the aluminium panels in real life, so I'm going to do some drybrushing on the edges that would experience most wear. But for the moment, it can keep its factory finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment