Monday 7 May 2012

Sopwith Dolphin - seat finished

At last, I've got the seat finished, and here it is:

This was about my sixth attempt. At first, I was intending to actually weave the seat back - I've seen this done at larger scales, but after a few failed attempts I gave up on this idea. My next idea was to simulate the basket weave with a tiny piece of fabric, and I eventually got this to work, but only after persisting for far too long with a mistake I've made before which is to use the wrong material for the job. In other words, I was trying to use sheet styrene for the back. I like styrene because you can glue it to itself with polystyrene cement and you get a very strong join. But the trouble with styrene in this case is that it doesn't want to be curled into a cylindrical cross section. So it's very fiddly to wrestle it into a neat join with the seat bottom, and even when you've done it, it springs out of shape at the top.

Eventually, I saw reason and decided to use tin foil for the seat back. This is much more amenable to being curled up, and glues perfectly well to the styrene seat bottom with CA glue.

So the assembly sequence went like this. First, cut out seat bottom and back:


Glue them together and cut out a tiny piece of fabric for the basket weave effect:


Make a cushion out of Milliput and paint:


Make lap belt out of painted tissue paper, put it all together and you get the result seen at the top of the post.

Here's a couple of views of it in situ:



1 comment: