Monday 14 May 2012

Sopwith Dolphin - cockpit nearly finished

I've nearly finished the cockpit at last. The new details are the joystick and a tiny instrument mounted between the Vickers guns.

The instrument (possibly an airspeed indicator) was quite fun to make, but it was quite a long process for such a tiny part because I always leave a day between coats of paint and varnish. Anyway, here it is ready to go in (If you're reading this, Matt, there's the coin as promised):


The joystick was pretty simple as well: just 0.5mm nickel steel bent into shape.

But at this stage, I realised that I had made things very difficult for myself leaving these details so late. The joystick went in just about OK, but I had to have two goes at the little instrument and the result is a bit messy. There's a bit of polystyrene cement on the upper edge that I'll have to scrape off when it's dry.

But I think it will look just about passable then.

1 comment:

  1. That is looking absolutely brilliant! The coin really helps to show the almost microscopic scale that you're working at!

    Keep at it :o)

    Matt

    ReplyDelete