Monday 1 April 2013

Sopwith Dolphin - rigging started

Well, sorry about the long silence. About 6 months ago, I seem to remember saying something to the effect that it was all over bar the rigging. Then I actually started doing the rigging, and suddenly I seemed to hit a brick wall. It's quite simple in principle, the technique I use, and I've used it on two previous projects (my only two previous projects, actually). You just prepaint some stretched sprue (see earlier post), cut lengths of it and stick the lengths into place. And that, in previous projects, was that.
The trouble was that, whereas on previous projects I seemed to be able to stretch straight lengths of sprue that stayed stretched in situ, this time I seemed to have lost the knack. The result was a lot of distinctly bowed rigging, and the sight of a lot of rigging sagging in all directions is rather dispiriting.

There is a solution to this, of course. Simply plug in the soldering iron, hold it near each length of rigging, and it tightens up. I tried this on some test lengths and it actually works. The sprue sags a bit, and then springs taut like magic.

So, keeping in mind the need to exercise great care and avoid poking big melted holes where they weren't wanted, I brought the soldering iron to bear on the actual model.The first length of rigging went taut; the second curled up and melted.

It was at this point that the motivation went away.

Anway, this weekend I had another go with the stretched sprue. As you can see, I started with the inner bays and then went on to finish the starboard wing. Then, this morning, after replenishing the energy reserves with some fried kidneys and most of an easter egg, I plugged in the soldering iron again. This time, I seemed to get the feel for it and the result so far is encouraging. It's not perfect. The wires are not completely parallel to each other. And if you look closely you can see unsightly blobs of CA glue at the roots. But it will have to do. I now have a fighting chance of finishing this project and moving on.

More soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment