Sunday 19 August 2012

Sopwith Dolphin - upper wings on again

I haven't made much progress over the last couple of months because of family matters. But I've finally managed to get the upper wings on again.

I think I've made a better job of it this time, for these reasons:
  1. The one-piece strut construction should mean a much stronger assembly
  2. I have refrained from getting blobs of glue all over the place
  3. There is slightly less of a gull-wing effect, though it can't be denied that the wings are a bit warped.
  4. The struts are better aligned. Last time, I got into one of those reckless must-get-this-finished modes, and one of the struts was badly out of alignment with the others.
  5. The struts are more accurate, because I looked at some photos and realised the front ones were different from the rear ones.
So all in all, an improvement. You will have noticed, by the way, that there is one strut missing. The reason for this is that this is the one with the pitot tube, and I'm still working out how to represent the mounting bracket.

Here are a couple more pics:



Anyway, while doing this, I have also been working on the wheels, having made the undercarriage a long time ago. So by my reckoning, there are only a few jobs left:
  1. Do final strut
  2. Assemble the tailplane again
  3. Assemble undercarriage
  4. Make and add tail-skid
  5. Add Lewis guns
  6. Add control horns
  7. Do rigging
I'm now quite hopeful that I will eventually finish this project, though I think I've said that before.

2 comments:

  1. Splendid work! Much better this time.

    BTW - what's a pilot tube?

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pitot tube is something to do with airspeed, I understand from Wikipedia

    ReplyDelete