Tuesday 3 April 2012

Sopwith Dolphin - final coat of varnish

I've got the final coat of varnish on at last, and here's how it's all looking:

I was in two minds about the finish to use. Previously, I've used Humbrol Satin Cote and I was going to do the same here. My thinking was that doped canvas would have a bit of a sheen in real life. But recently, after visiting forums and seeing what other people have done, I've started to think again, and I've decided that a matt finish is better. You still get a slight sheen - you're never going to get it completely matt - and this is probably about right for the scale. It also looks so much better and less toylike. So Humbrol Matt Cote it is.

I hate this bit, actually. My airbrush technique is not great. It takes a while to nerve myself to do the job, but once I've started I get over-confident and end up with big pools of varnish so that I have to hold the whole thing at an angle to stop paint runs.

But it all came out OK in the end, somehow. Next, less dangerous stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment