Sunday 20 February 2011

SE5A - An unsuccessful attempt

Haven't made much progress with the Dolphin recently, but here are some photos of an unsuccessful attempt to super-detail the Revell SE5A. Since then, I've got hold of one or two Roden SE5s that I might build sometime. But Roden have done such a good job that it won't be nearly as much fun.



The first job was to hack away the integrally moulded cylinder blocks and cut out any other apertures that were needed. Then I added the interior framework.


Then some paint:


And some stretched sprue. This was the first time I had bothered with the internal bracing cables, and I was pretty pleased with how it was going up to this point.


I scratch-built the geared 200HP Hispano-Suiza and mountings. Looking at it, I think it came out better than the one I made for the Dolphin, but I thnk the cylinder blocks are the wrong colour.


Eventually, I closed up the fuselage:


After added the lower wings etc. I did an undercoat:


There aren't any photos of what happened next, but essentially I mucked it up by trying to use a water-based varnish that gave a finish similar to semolina. I suppose I could have tried to wash it off, but I didn't think of that. Maybe one day I'll have a go at those Rodens even though it won't be much fun.

Apologies to Six Feet Under

No comments:

Post a Comment